Photonics-based sensors for enhanced oil industry processes
HYDROPTICS will develop a set of integrated sensors, making use of advanced photonics subsystems, aimed at optimising the processes of the oil industry.
The device will be validated in real industrial settings, for oil extraction and oil refining processes.
The HYDROPTICS platform will perform:
- oil in water measurements;
- corrosion inhibitor concentration measurements;
- oil droplets and suspended solids in water measurements;
- industrial process optimisation, based on simulation of processes through digital twins, as well as data assimilation from the readings coming from the sensors.
Within HYDROPTICS, Alpes capitalises on its knowledge of cutting edge photonics in order to assist in the development of:
- Quantum Cascade Laser Frequency Combs spectroscopy, for ultra-fast and sensing of oil in water concentration.
- Quantum Cascade Laser ATR spectroscopy, using MCM surface ATR crystals, for ultra-sensitive sensing of corrosion inhibitors in water.
- High resolution spectral and spatial resolution hyperspectral imaging, for particle classification in aqueous suspensions.
Funding programme type: H2020
Call for proposals: ICT-05-2019: Application driven Photonics components – Subtopic IA (ii): Sensor-Based Optimization of Production Processes
Grant reference #: Grant agreement ID 871529
Duration: 42 months
Total budget: 7,740,043.75 €
Website: HYDROPTICS Project website
Partners: Alpes Lasers (CH), QUANTARED TECHNOLOGIES GMBH (AT), IRSWEEP AG (CH), TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET WIEN (AT), INTERUNIVERSITAIR MICRO-ELECTRONICA CENTRUM (BE), SILICON AUSTRIA LABS GMBH (AT), DBC EUROPE (BE), NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS – NTUA (EL), OMV EXPLORATION & PRODUCTION GMBH (AT), Turkiye Petrol Rafinerileri Anonim Sirketi (TR)