A Cost -Effective Photonics-based Device for Early Prediction, Monitoring and Management of Diabetic Foot Ulcers
PHOOTONICS aims at developing innovative, reliable, and cost-effective (in terms of almost zero operational cost and high return of investment) photonic-driven devices for Diabetic Foot Ulcer (DFU) monitoring and management which can be applied for wide use. The project supports two versions:
- the PHOOTONICS In-Home, used for DFU monitoring by patients and
- the PHOOTONICS PRO operated by physicians at their premises.
The proposed devices combine passive infrared photodetectors with active illuminators. Specifically, within the project will be delivered:
- a passive HSI photo-detector, sensitive at NIR spectrum of 700nm-1000nm with an active tuneable diode illuminator, operating at NIR spectrum, for optimising reliability (in terms of sensitivity, specificity and accuracy) in detecting peripheral oxygen and tissue saturation- SpO2/StO2 and oxyhaemoglobin/ deoxyhaemoglobin, at a spatial resolution of approximately 50pixels/cm,
- a passive Mid-IR photodetector, sensitive at spectrum 5.7μm-9.3μm with a Quantum Cascade Laser (QCL) optimized to capture additional tissue attributes such as elastin, collagen, lipid, amino amino-acids and carbohydrates necessary information for DFU early prediction and management at a resolution scale approximately of 10pixels/cm. and
- a thermal-IR sensing component capable of detecting hyperthermia/hypothermia distributions in ROIs with different levels of resolution for the PRO and In-Home version (full HD and 10 pixels/cm respectively).
Funding programme type: H2020
Call for proposals: ICT-05-2019: Application driven Photonics components – Subtopic IA (i): Photonics devices to support monitoring therapeutic progress
Grant reference #: Grant agreement ID 871908
Duration: 42 months
Total budget: 4,624,781.25 €
Website: PHOOTONICS Project website
Partners: UAB METIS BALTIC (LT), INTERUNIVERSITAIR MICRO-ELECTRONICA CENTRUM (BE), ALPES LASERS SA (CH), QUEST PHOTONIC DEVICES BV (NL), EXUS SOFTWARE MONOPROSOPI ETAIRIA PERIORISMENIS EVTHINIS (GR), NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS – NTUA (GR), CHARITE – UNIVERSITAETSMEDIZIN BERLIN (DE), ETHNIKO KAI KAPODISTRIAKO PANEPISTIMIO ATHINON (GR), UNIVERSITATEA DE MEDICINA SI FARMACIE VICTOR BABES TIMISOARA (RO), TIME.LEX (BE)